San Francisco 49ers Jersey

Thursday, November 7, 2013

Sports Psychology And Bowling

Sports Psychology And Bowling

Bowlers are always looking for simple ways to get more strikes and spares and to add pins to their scores.

Like other athletes, bowlers tend to enjoy their sport more when they are performing to their fullest potential.

And bowling is very mental, once you master the mechanics of the sport. That is, bowling is a sport which is very much about confidence, concentration, focus, tempo and being relaxed when you step on the lanes.

Some bowlers can improve by simply changing their tempo. Others can add pins by learning to bowl in a kind of mental vacuum. Others can add elevate their scores by managing distractions and pressure more effectively. Many bowlers think they are focused, but they are not focused intensely enough to score well.

In some cases, bowlers benefit from changing their thoughts when they put their fingers in the ball.

And lots of people who bowl competitively can improve by using some levity or humor to get themselves into a pleasant and comfortable state of mind.

Over the years, I have counseled many bowlers and I have taught them how to use a combination of selfhypnosis, meditation and visualization to get more strikes and spares and to perform to their potential in their leagues, in their tournaments and in their matches. These bowlers have included professionals, high school bowlers, league bowlers and recreational bowlers.

Some have come to see me at my offices. Some have called me on the phone. Others have bought my books and or purchased my cd programs.

Many bowlers have added ten to twenty pins to their scores as a result of learning these aforementioned mental techniques.

Recently, however, a bowler told me that he added an incredible 60 pins to his score after listening to my bowling cd program. Apparently, this person listened to all the chapters in one night. I usually do not advise bowlers to do this, since there is a lot of material in this program and it can confuse a bowler if they try to absorb all the ideas included in the program and the free book at once sitting.

Nevertheless, something must have clicked or resonated with Ronnie Cremer of Shillington, Pennsylvania. Here is what this bowler said in a note to me.

"I actually listened to the entire program on Monday night, and I bowled 6o pins higher than I usually do in my Tuesday night league. What you said really makes sense to me, and I look forward to doing better as I continue to listen to your audio program. You have one very happy customer here, and I will recommend you to every bowler that I can."

No comments:

Post a Comment